CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, December 8, 2008

Healing Remedies

As the snow is falling outside and soft christmas music is playing in my apartment, I realize that something is missing! I'm not sniffling from a runny nose or massaging my neck from swollen glands and a sore throat. It's a miracle! I am almost always sick at this time of year, and actually at most other times of year too. Despite my fairly active and healthy lifestyle, I've spent most of my life under the cloud of some illness. I was contemplating what I did different this year to ward off the cold and flu season and realized I introduced 2 new things into my diet. (and don't worry, I'm a firm nonbeliever in supplements and most herbal/organic remedies. (as a exercise science/nutrition major this is almost a given since the "facts" about supplements are pounded into my head in every class) No echinacea drops or O.D.ing on vitamin C for me when I get a cold) These two home remedies are just comfort food for me and probably give me enough boost in mood to create the placebo affect that can be so healing. First, whenever I've begun to feel poorly I've made myself a cup of the most amazing, soothing drink:

Stephen's Gourmet Wassail (Citrus & Spice)



and if that doesn't work I buy a cabbage and make this fabulous soup:

Healing Cabbage Soup (recipe on allrecipes.com)



Hopefully these warm, comforting foods can help you ward off sickness and enjoy the most wonderful time of year too. :)

1 comments:

The Goodrich's said...

Glad you got your "cramra" back. I was beginning to worry about you. Good ideas about the cold remedies. I'm glad you're healthy!