I'm taking calculus right now, and though it's not conceptually as difficult as other classes I've taken (such as organic chemistry or applied physics) it is soooo time consuming and so annoying that the only words that come to my mind when thinking about it are- "bane of my existence." That got me thinking..."where did that phrase come from and what the heck does it mean?" So, nerd that I am, I looked it up. Here's what google told me:
To say that something or someone is "the bane of my existence" means
that the person or thing is a constant irritant or source of misery.
As a cliche, "bane of my existence" has lost its edge to a large
degree over the years, and today is most often applied to something
that may profoundly annoy us but is certainly bearable... "Bane of my
existence" is now almost always used in a semi-jocular, "what are you
gonna do?" sense.
But "bane" was once a very serious word. The Old English "bana" meant
literally "slayer" in the sense we now use "killer" or "murderer."
Early on, the English "bane" was also used in the more general sense
of "cause of death," and by the 14th century "bane" was used in the
specialized sense of "poison," a sense which lives on in the names of
various poisonous plants such as "henbane" and "wolfbane."
From this very literal "something that kills you" usage, "bane" by the
16th century had broadened into its modern meaning of "something that
makes life unpleasant, a curse."
- So Calculus isn't poison and it certainly isn't going to "slay" me, but it is definitely a curse and I can't wait to be done with it.
(I googled the two inventors of Calculus. Turns out if was Newton and Leibniz, a drag queen and a vampire respectively. Huh, who knew?)
Sunday, February 22, 2009
Bane of my Existence
Posted by Jess at 11:02 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
crazy stuff!!
you are such a freaking genius!!...i could never tackle this kind of stuff!! you are amazing! Ü
good luck with this semester!...its half over right?!
hahaha... love the pictures you found on google.
also, i am so glad to be done with school.
you only have a few months to go! :) woohoo
haha, those pictures were a little different when I found them, but I couldn't resist "improving" them a little.
Post a Comment